Saturday 2 January 2021

A Break from the Norm

What you should know:
  1. I didn't really mean it.
  2. I'd last approximately three days. 

I've really enjoyed my Christmas break. I'm lucky to work somewhere that shuts down completely for two weeks. Because I work part-time and Monday is a bank holiday in Scotland, I'll have had almost three weeks away from my desk. 

I was going to write that I think everyone has probably daydreamed about not working for a living at some point in their lives. Except farmers. You know those people who say that if they won the lottery they'd still work? I bet most farmers would be in that category. 

Ivie and Rudi going off to work

Steering clear of the economics and politics of farming (my blog is more concerned with the comedy of farming, to be honest), it's in the blood of those who do it. While I often don't understand the conversations I overhear, I recognise the passion and pride and the drive to do things well. 

This morning over breakfast, we were chatting about the routines we've got into over the festive period and I wondered aloud about being a 'kept' woman. I could do more of the things I've enjoyed over the festivities like reading, walking and sitting in my shed, dispensing with pesky work that just gets in the way. It was met with a characteristic, "Oh aye?" from Ivie and he carried on drinking his coffee. 

Shed Life

Rationally, I know that I wouldn't last very long at it. Work is important to me for lots of reasons, not just financial independence. That's not to dismiss anyone that doesn't work outside the home. I know lots of people who put in far more hours than I do caring for others, supporting family businesses and being the lynch-pin of a household. Somehow it's not considered 'work' in the traditional sense but that's probably a debate for another day. 

In the meantime, I'll keep daydreaming about doing more of the things I enjoy, as well as daydreaming about a bit more normality in 2021. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! It will appear after it's been approved.