Thursday 24 December 2020

A Cosy Christmas

What I know about Christmas on the farm:
  1. Cows still need fed. 
  2. Ivie doesn't really switch off. 
"Will you have a lie-in on Christmas Day?" I asked Ivie.
"Probably not," he replied, "I like just getting up and out and then I'll have the rest of the day."

I can see the logic but there's something indulgent about lying there, waking up gradually and talking nonsense. To be fair, we manage to talk nonsense at all other times of the day so maybe it's not a major sacrifice. And since we got the puppy, a lie-in doesn't seem like such a relaxing proposition. 

I'm awake!

This is my first Christmas as an actual Spittal resident so it's made me think about starting our own traditions. Growing up, my Dad used to make us have tea and toast before we were allowed any chocolate on Christmas Day. I still do this (with an ounce of teenage grumbling) and it's a nice little way of remembering him all these years later. 

One of Ivie's suggestions was that we get the stove going in my shed and have a cosy cuppa in there on Christmas morning. Sounds good to me. 

Sunny Shennanton Sawmill Shed

It's not how I thought my Christmases would pan out, to be honest. In a past life, I imagined my future Christmases would be filled with letters to Santa, school concerts and early wake-up calls of, "he's been!". Things didn't turn out that way but, you know, I wouldn't change it for the world. 

I'm a firm believer in everything working itself out in the end and if I'd had a people-carrier full of kids, I wouldn't be living where I do with the wonderful person that I do. We're privileged auntie and uncle to six nieces and one nephew between us aged 8-26, who we love having in our lives. 

I'm sure everyone's 2020 Christmas is a bit different to what was planned. I hope that you're all starting your own wee traditions that will be talked about in years to come. 

Merry Festivities to you all! xxx

Giblin Christmas 1988-ish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! It will appear after it's been approved.