Monday 18 January 2021

Once Upon a Time

What I've noticed:
  1. When you've been living with someone for a while, you start to repeat yourself. 
  2. When you've been living with someone for a while, you start to repeat yourself (haha, I'm hilarious). 

One of the things about living at the Spittal is that there's not often a quiet moment (and that's even without Ivie in the house). Someone or something passes by my 'office' window on a fairly regular basis - the postie, a cattle feed truck, a horse, a pick-up, sporty Fishers doing DoddieGump

A rare clear view from the 'office'

The same is true at the times that we've been out and about (not so much lately, granted). Particularly when we're close to home, Ivie chats away with an almost-constant commentary of stories about his past (they are many and varied...), who used to live where and places he's worked. 

A typical exchange might go like this:

Him: I've lifted the silage in that field.
Me: Oh?
Him: If you look closely, you can still see all the perfectly parallel tracks. 
Me: Oh.  


 Or:

Him: I've ploughed that field.
Me: You told me that the last time we drove along here.
Him: Oh.  

That's not to say that I'm immune from repetitive-itis - although most of the replayed conversations Ivie has to put up with go along the lines of:

Me: Look at this beautiful notebook!
Him: Don't you have a dozen un-used notebooks on the shelf? 
Me: Yes, but this one has graph paper inside instead of plain. 
Him: Oh. 


The introvert in me is sometimes challenged by the amount of chatting that goes on. Especially during lockdown, though, I'm very happy to have the company of another human being - even if we do have the same conversations every day. And maybe even especially because we have the same conversations every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! It will appear after it's been approved.