Sunday 26 January 2020

Questions, questions

Things you should know:

1. Some of my friends are really detail oriented
2. That is not one of my skills....


When I first started going out with Ivie, some of my friends asked me lots of questions about the farm. You can imagine how well that went. 

Question: What kind of farm is it?
My answer: There's cows and sheep there and a couple of wee goats.
The real answer: Beef and sheep. (The pygmy goats are generally considered a nuisance but they do eat any spilled feed). 

Question: What breeds are there?
My answer: Seriously? I told you there were cows. What else could you possibly need to know?  Some are beige and some are black. I think they might be called limousines, like the car. 
The real answer: There is a cow breed called limousin (note the lack of 'e') but there aren't any at the Spittal. There are Simmentals and Aberdeen Angus. 

Q: And what about the sheep?
Me: I know this one! They're called mules (<looks smug>). I remembered because they're sheep and they're called mules. And they're kind of infertile donkeys. 
TRA: Scotch mules so 8/10.
Me: Harsh.

Me: Oh and there are square looking sheep that look like lego sheep. 
TRA: They're tups. 
Me: Oh.
TRA: And they're called Texels. 
Me: Noted.

Q: How big is the farm?
Me: <shrugs and grunts like a teenager>. It's quite big. It goes way up the hill and you can see Cairnsmore. Who knows how big an acre is anyway...?
TRA: 400 acres. And lots of people. 

Q: How many sheep are there?
Me: <shrugs and grunts>. 130? 
TRA: 230. 

Q: How many cows?
Me: WHAT'S WITH ALL THE QUESTIONS?!
TRA: 130. 

Q: Is there a sheepdog? 
Me: YES!! She's called Isa and she's training to be a working dog. I'm like her weekend Dad. I take her treats and don't discipline her. 
TRA: Yes. And she's far too spoiled.
Me: I KNOW!

Isa! 

So, there you have it. More of the things I don't know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! It will appear after it's been approved.