Tuesday 4 February 2020

I Name This Field

Things I Didn't Know
1. Fields have names
2. That's not always useful


Not long after I started seeing Ivie, my friend Sheena casually dropped into conversation that fields have names. 

Isa looking at a field

"What?" I asked idly before realising that, of course, that makes sense. If it was up to me to describe places on the farm, it would probably be along the lines of:
  • that field where the sheep was on its back. I was wearing my blue jumper. It might have been a Tuesday.
  • that field we were in when you told me that joke about Iceland. The supermarket, not the country. 
  • the field where you asked me if I wanted to drive the quad bike and I said no. 
Ivie in a field

So, as you can see, it's much better that fields have names. 

When I asked Ivie about the names of the fields at the Spittal he reeled off a list of names, some that made more sense than others. 

  • Papa's Park. His Papa? Nope, it was already called that when Ivie Snr bought the farm in the 60s. 
  • The Cairn Field. At least there's actually a cairn in it. 
  • The Top of the 50 Acre and The Bottom of the 50 Acre (I didn't get a satisfactory answer to why they're not called the Top 25 and Bottom 25).
  • High Piquant and Low Piquant. These aren't the real names but there are definitely Ps and Qs in there somewhere. 
  • The House Field. It's in front of the house. Obviously. 
  • I think there might also be one called the Keystone which is in the middle. Possibly...
  • The Dandy Field. I made that one up. But I kinda like it. 
Cows in a field

As you can tell by the captions on the photos, my learning is progressing well. I'd be interested to hear from other farm residents what their fields are called and to see if they make any more sense.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you do this! We do something similar on our regular dog walk route. There's Pheasant's Hill, upon which we once saw a pheasant; the Muddy Slope Bit (self explanatory) and The Log, which is a...well,yeah it's a log. I never said the names were clever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! It will appear after it's been approved.