Saturday 6 June 2020

Boilersuit Blues

Things you should know:
1. Dirt jumps on me
2. I am quite persistent


One of the best things about living on a farm is having a boiler suit. I wear one when I'm doing anything outside, whether it's farm-related or not. (And let's face it, I don't do anything that's actually farm-related.)

It helps keep my clothes clean which is no mean feat. Dirt has a habit of finding me, even when I'm not looking for it. 

You'd be forgiven for thinking that all this time I've had a boilersuit from Tarff (the local farm supplies store) or from one of the companies that Ivie buys things from. Funnily enough, this time last year Ivie bought a big bit of farm machinery. 

For non-farmers, it's not unusual when a farmer makes a big purchase like this to have a couple of freebies thrown in, like a power tool - or protective clothing (for example...). Ivie requested an angle grinder (which he got) and a boilersuit for me (which I did not). Not mentioning any names but my boiler suit would have been graay* and green - and supplied by one of the 7 Dwarves. If you know, you know.... 

That's not to say I didn't already have one. Many, many years ago I was an exchange student in northern Sweden, about an hour south of the Arctic Circle. One of the things that's a thing in Scandinavia is studentoverall. Each faculty has their own colour and at my uni, as luck would have it, exchange students had navy blue ones. The only slightly unlucky part was that they had a bloody great comic book moose on the back.... 


Exhibit A

You can imagine my delight, then, when I was promised a non-comedy boilersuit. And my disappointment at having to carry on wearing the equivalent of toddler's pyjamas instead. Not that I'm bitter. 

Then the zip went on Ivie's 'one size fits none' boilersuit and he ordered two new ones! 


Bring on the trumpets! 
So, now I have my very own proper boilersuit, which is perfect for protecting me from all the dirt, grime and toothpaste I come into contact with on a daily basis. 

I'm even in vogue for the first time in my life. Probably.



* for non-farmers, this is a deliberate typo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! It will appear after it's been approved.