Sunday 22 March 2020

Lambing: Part 3

Things I learned this week:

  1. There are far worse places to be in self-isolation
  2. Life (and lambing) goes on


It's been a funny old week for everyone. I'm now in lockdown for 12 weeks since I had a kidney transplant in 1997. I'm lucky that I don't live on my own anymore and that I have Ivie to go to the supermarket and listen to my inane witterings. It's going to be tougher on him than me, to be fair. 

I'd hoped that by the time Lambing: Part 3 came around that I'd be able to tell you that I'd delivered my first live lamb and could now wrestle a ewe in labour to the ground. But the only progress I've made is to feed the pet lambs - one of which is going to die anyway Ivie's brother informed me the other night (cheers for that) - and help Ivie give a wee triplet colostrum. 

The next section is for non-farmers. Farmers - skip this paragraph because:
a. I might have got it wrong
b. I still think lambs are cute (even more so after three glasses of wine) 🍷🍷🍷

Pet lambs are the ones that need a bit more TLC. They might be orphans or more often they're the smallest of a set of triplets. A ewe only has two teats so twins generally fare better. It is possible for a ewe with a single lamb to take on another ewe's triplet but that's a story for another day. 

Colostrum is contained in a lamb's first feed and is full of antibodies. If a lamb doesn't get any in its first 6-12 hours then it might not survive. Giving a new lamb colostrum involves a syringe and a tube down its throat into its stomach. Not as horrific as it sounds. 

Calves and Lambs
Photo by Ivie


*** Farmers rejoin here ***

Lambing has reminded me of the things you take for granted when you're dating a non-farmer:
  • going to bed at the same time as each other
  • having a lazy Sunday morning together reading the papers
  • entire evenings when your partner is wide awake
But the positives far outweigh the negatives:
  • at least an hour and a half on my own every morning before I have to interact with another human being
  • really appreciating a surprise night off when Ivie's brother was waiting for his daughter to arrive home from college 
  • being surrounded by new life and signs of Spring
And, as I said at the beginning of this post, there are far, far worse places to be in self-isolation. 


View from the front step
Photo by Ivie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! It will appear after it's been approved.