Saturday 22 October 2022

New Socks Please, We're British

What I've been thinking about this week:
  • Excellent purchases
    What I haven't been thinking about this week:
      • Socks


      One of the things I've found about middle age is how excited I get about buying things that my younger self would have been horrified by. I've never been particularly 'spendy' but there's nothing wrong with simple pleasures. 

      This week has been particularly good for online, middle-aged purchases*
      • a heated blanket I put over my legs like a Nana when I'm working (so we don't have to put the heating on during the day). 
      • an old school paper diary from Germany (it's worth it, honest).
      • an old school paper calendar from a small business in Edinburgh (are you detecting a theme here?) 
      There have been a few deliveries for the farm this week, too, as Ivie et al get some maintenance done between the summer madness and the winter. Although I asked all the right questions, I'm not sure I could tell you what they've been up to, other than the concreting up by the pens - and that's mainly cos I walk past it with the dog every morning (on the lead so that there are no little pawprints left as a lasting legacy🐾).

      A rare moment of calm


      I've got used to the couriers arriving in between all the other vehicles coming and going during the day. They're pretty good at delivering farm parcels to the steading, rather than to either of the houses so I didn't pay too much attention to the one that drove past just before lunchtime. I saw the driver open the back door to the van and hand Ivie a package. I assumed it was another sprocket, widget or tractor part so carried on trying to persuade the dog to be calm for five bloody minutes while I heated up the soup. 

      Ivie has excellent timing, so he appeared back just as the toast was popping with said package in his hand. It contained socks. Not just one or two pairs, mind you. Twelve pairs of new, heavy duty, promise-not-to-wear-through socks.


      Ivie is not spendy: Exhibit A


      As we all know, Ivie is even less spendy than I am so there has been a lot of deliberation about these socks. He has mentioned buying new ones on a fairly regular basis for the past month and, I have to say, my interest was waning. 

      Here's hoping it's a while before he has to buy something major. Like wellies. 

      * It's important to support our local businesses, too, especially in the run-up to the 'C' word. Check out this blog from 2020 that lists some of my favourites. And check out one of my new local favourites, Nest Galloway.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      Thanks for commenting on my blog! It will appear after it's been approved.