Tuesday 22 September 2020

Julius Cowser

Things I learned:
  1. I wasn't as squeamish as I thought I might be. 
  2. A hamster (that well known farm animal) weighs about the same as a packet of crisps. 

We had a bit of excitement here at the Spittal last week. I say 'we'; it was probably only me that found it exciting. Everyone else undoubtedly found it expensive and lengthy. 

Last Monday evening, Ivie mentioned that he was going to check a cow and calf that were up in the pens. The calf had been born the day before and hadn't quite got the hang of sooking. Ivie wanted to make sure it was up on its feet and getting enough milk so that it could go out into the field the next day. 

Obviously, I take any opportunity to don my boiler suit and nosey at a baby animal (it'll wear off, I'm sure). Five minutes later, Ivie's brother, sister-in-law and nephew arrived down with a cow that was in calf. I was instructed to stand well back as they brought it into the crush for closer inspection. 

Apparently, the cow was 'in the notion' of calving but nothing had happened yet. I've heard this phrase bandied around from time to time and, from what I can make out, when a cow is near to calving she starts wandering around a bit more and taking herself away from other cows. This one was a heifer (which you'll remember from a previous blog means that this is her first calf, not that she's grossly overweight) so Ivie's brother thought she might need a bit of a hand. Up to the elbow.

After a bit of grappling, two big hooves appeared. I was looking forward to seeing my first calving so got into a good viewing spot. The big hooves disappeared back in. Time to phone the vet apparently. 

View from the Spittal
(cos I didn't have my phone when the vet was here)

It was starting to get dark so headtorches were fetched while we waited for the vet to arrive, as were buckets of hot water (I thought that was only on TV but evidently not). The vet arrived and informed us that her previous patient, a hamster, was 29g. A bit of a contrast then. 

It wasn't quite what I was expecting for a few reasons:

  • The cow remained standing for the duration and didn't appear to be in any distress. 
  • It was a hugely physical job with Ivie and his brother both called in to help lift the calf out at the right moment. 
  • The cow should be able to have more calves in the future. Yay! 
Ivie's brother was instructed to hold the wound shut while the vet stitched it up and Ivie had the job of making sure the calf didn't die was ok. (Obviously, I stood with my hands in my pockets, resolutely not volunteering for anything responsible.)

The massive calf lay lifeless with his tongue hanging out for a few moments then began to rasp and wheeze. He was too heavy for Ivie to swing about like he might a newborn lamb so he lifted its body and offered, ahem, 'gentle encouragement' (and £1.50 for the swear jar).

Julius (as I'd now named him) coughed a few times and lifted his head. Then he started trying to get to his feet. Hail Caesar! 
Julius on walkabout the next morning


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! It will appear after it's been approved.